According to Motorola Solutions’ 2017 Corporate Responsibility Report, the company cut its carbon footprint by 20 per cent year-on-year, while also reducing its electricity use by 19 per cent.
During 2017, Motorola Solutions closed and combined some facilities, which resulted in a drop in energy use. It is also renovating some of its larger facilities with more efficient heating and cooling systems, insulation, LED lighting and energy-management systems. The company currently sources seven per cent of its energy from renewable sources. It also cut its global water use by 25 per cent.
The company produced 1,951 tonnes of waste globally, down 29.6 per cent from 2016. Of the non-hazardous waste it generated, 54 per cent was recycled or reused, while the remaining 46 per cent was sent to landfill – unchanged compared to 2016.
The amount of waste collected from Motorola Solutions’ customers through its take-back programmes rose from 265 tonnes to 323 tonnes, up 22 per cent year-on-year, but far from the 761 tonnes collected in 2015.
The company completed 182 risk assessments on its suppliers in 2017, representing 83 per cent of its supply chain spend.
Motorola Solutions has been honoured for the fifth consecutive year by the Points of Light Foundation with its Civic 50 award, which recognises the 50 most community-minded companies in the United States. In 2017, the Motorola Solutions Foundation donated $10.7 million to support more than three million students, teachers, first responders and their families affiliated with more than 260 organisations in 37 countries. The company’s employees also completed 36,000 volunteer hours in 2017.
“We’re proud of the progress we made in 2017, and our momentum will continue throughout 2018 as we celebrate the company’s 90th anniversary. Since 1928, we have maintained a long and proud heritage as a global company that conducts our business with integrity, continually enhances and improves our environment, and forges strong partnerships in the communities where we live, work and do business,” said Terry Bell, vice president, environment, health and safety.
Author: Sam Fenwick